Tuesday, October 13, 2009

We're home!

The beach was fun. Quite boring at times, but all in all, amazing. Still as gorgeous as how i described it in my previous post, but with even more fun memories. For example, I learned some tricky tricks on my bicycle. No hands, no feet. I made it for a good 15 seconds at one point! Also, my Aunt Stephanie makes me laugh. No nonsense and extremely opinionated. A lot of family in one place at one time can be good in small doses (THAT I learned the hard way :)

Being back home in my own bed, in my own room feels...amazing. Really calming and relaxing. It smells good because a while ago I plugged in a yummy apple cinnamon smelly thing in the wall. It's noticeably colder up here though. I've been sleeping with two comforters and my air conditioning isn't even on. It's a little unsettling to not have the extra background noise of something running, but I have a solution. Plug in a fan. Problem solved.

Homeschool seems like it's kicking in now that we're back. This morning my mom had me downstairs before 10am-haha-and when I came down people were conversing in one room, doing things. My mom went over some grammar definitions with me, then had me read a little bit of this comical grammar book. By EB White and his old professor. Now I'm up in my room doing more English. For lunch I'm going to make fettuccine for a cooking class. I'm going to try eggplant for the first time today. I've always been curious about what it tastes like. Mom wanted me to make monkey brains (initially monkey bread, but with a Halloween twist) also, but it's not a sweet day. Having a lot of sugar like that in one sitting would just be sugar overload. I do have the opportunity to choose what I want to do for school during the day. Today I chose to do grammar and cooking. Tomorrow if it's nice out I'm thinking more along the lines of photography, cooking, and math. We'll see what happens. I like to have the dictation of what I'm going to do.

I want to start volunteering places like veterinary offices, to search around and see if that's what I would want to do when I'm older. So along with my job at the Pastry Shop, I'll intern at this other bakery, and see if I can intern at a nearby vet.

Mom wants me to go cook lunch now.

xoxoalice

5 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

I'm so glad you are back to blogging. Eggplant is good stuff. Learning to cook basic foods is good learning. Ratatouille is made with eggplant.

Alice said...

I actually did not like the eggplant. It does not agree with my tastebuds. Haha.
(And I'm glad I'm back to blogging too..!! :)

karina said...

Strunk and White is one of my favorite books ever--hope you enjoy it!

(Spencer)

Jennilyn said...

Did you salt the eggplant, first? My first missionary companion taught me to cut it up, let it sit in heavily salted water first (pulls the bitterness out) then drain and then cook. It hurts my tongue if I forget that step.

So how does quilting fit into your homeschooling? Home Ec?

Jane Babcock said...

Good to try out career possibilities! Let us know if you find something you like. Love, Grandpa Ken