Well, it happened. Today at 11 11am, Bapa passed away. He was asking to go, and now his wish has been granted. He's passed on into the next place where he should be. I came home from school, and when I walked in the door, my mom told my sisters and I what happened. We got to go in his room and see him. He looked so peaceful. It was relieving to see him so peaceful and with a faint smile on his face. My eyes got wet, but more than anything, I was happy to see him. Out of pain, and where he wants to be. On the way over to the cabin, I stopped by his 6 foot deep hole where he will be buried tomorrow. His coffin is in the garage. Right now he is laying in his room, on his bed, clean, in his temple clothes, wrapped in an Ethiopian blanket.
Next day (actually today)...
Today around 11am, about 24 hours after his death, Bapa was buried. He's buried on the property, near the road, allowing easy access. It was beautiful. We preformed a small service, and Nany put the first shovelful of dirt on the coffin, along with a single yellow rose. I helped rake a bunch of dirt in. Amazing opportunity. Most likely won't get a chance to do that again...stinking professional burial people. Anyways, I'm glad that we were able to all be together, with the Seyoums and Kasas. Saturday we're having the actual funeral service. I won't even begin to try to imagine how many people will be there.
He's gone, but like he said before, whether it was him or somebody else, I would always have a guardian angel watching over me. He'll not be someone I'm going to forget.
On a lighter note, I was walking out to the car with my dad on the way to the house, and we smelled a skunk. Thankfully Callie didn't stink, so we had one less thing to worry about. Driving there, I told my dad how I always thought it would be awesome to have a pet skunk. De-oderized, of course. I mean, how cool would it be to be walking down the street with a collar and a leash on a skunk?!? Freaking amazing! So, he was wondering how the skunk would be un-stinkitized. I told him that a veterinarian would have to seduce it...I couldn't understand why he started laughing at me when I said that...then I thought about it. Haha, whoops...I meant seducted. Sorry dad. Sigh. He laughed at that too. Oh man. He told me to just stick with "anesthetics".
This Saturday there is a church dance. Ben, this 15 year old guy I met at church told my mom to tell me about it. Of course, he didn't want me to know about it in a "romantic" way. Of course he wouldn't want to ask a scary, funny looking girl to "accompany" him. Haha. I don't know. I don't think I'm going. Somebody might get jealous. Kidding. That's not the only reason why I wouldn't go. Saturday is going to be a busy day. Lots and lots of visitors. Lots of people. Lots of talking. Won't be able to get much accomplished then. :)
My mom and I went to do some robins (my baby Alice way of saying errands) today. We went out to look for a book for people to sign at the funeral. We went to several different stores with not much luck. We eventually found this little old bookshop that had an old "grandparents journal" thing. Also a map of Flint Hill, and an old children's song book for Nany. We got lost after that. After driving around a little more, I recognized a Mexican restaurant that we passed on our way to Petco, which is right by Target. We went there. To Target, not Petco. We splurged on Valentine's Day sales. Lots of things left. I got 4 bags of dark chocolate m&ms, a tin thing of dark chocolate lindt, and some slipper things. Mom got some other stuff. We also needed shampoo and soap, just in case our hygiene's of any concern to anybody. After Target we went to the food store. My mom bought me some soymilk...yummy. Then we went home. Thanks so much mom! That was fun. Even though you were wanting to kill Grace and Evelyn almost the whole time. :D
Whew, I finally got through writing this post!
xoxo
Defiance Shirts - the Handmade Process
10 years ago
4 comments:
I'm glad you were able to blog again. So glad you were able to see your grandpa and be with your family at this difficult time. Love you.
Hahaha I think you meant "sedate"... :P
hahaha. i don't even know what i meant. it's all weird. :)
i'm glad i was able to be here too.
Alice I love you! :) I'm so glad I got to see you this weekend.
Post a Comment